Picture By: Celebrationsathomeblog.com

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Moose Mobile Tutorial

My sister, Kristen, is having her first baby in April, Baby Gunner.  We are so excited for her and Scott and can't wait for that little baby boy to be here!  

My sister is crafty, artsy, creative, etc... All the things she got from my mom and I never knew I had. - (until recently!  Being a mom sparked my creative side!)

She is also super thrifty! (Now I know I have that! And Yes, we also got this from my mother.)

Gunner is going to have the cutest Moose and Hunting themed room! And it is going to be done on a very friendly budget! (Once his room is complete, I'll post a blog about his adorable room, and the adorable budget! So check back! Tons of pictures included!)

My sister decided to make Gunner's mobile, instead of buying one.  It is so cute and so easy to make! You could make this with any "theme" (her's is Moose).  Here is the tutorial in case you want to make one for your little bundle of joy!



MATERIALS: (cost: $12 - Wow! That's Cheap!)
Remember to use your Coupons for these items to make them even cheaper!

Pack of 4 wooden dowel rods
Different colors of felt - 8 pieces
Thread
Stuffing
Plastic multi eyeballs
Wooden beads
Hemp rope





1.  Make a template out of cardstock of the moose face, snout, and antlers.

2. Trace and cut out each piece with your choice of felt color.

3. Then hand sew all of the pieces together, and stuff each moose with some pillow stuffing.

4. Once the moose face and snout are together, add the antlers. After adding antlers, add small pieces of felt for the ears and nostrils, along with googly eyes. (all using fabric glue)



5.  For the actual mobile, take 3, 12" wooden dowel rods, drill small holes on each end and secure them all together with one simple screw in the center.

6. Take hemp string and various wooden beads and string the beads along the hemp, securing one to the end of the dowel rod with a knot.

7. Hang each moose from one side of each dowel rod by sewing the hemp to the moose with a simple series of stitches.

8. Hang the entire mobile from the ceiling with an "s" hook and again, more hemp.

9. My sister is thinking about adding a small box that will allow the mobile to spin on its own, or a small device that will play music. (We will let you know what she finds! Or please, any suggestions would be great!)


There you go!  Now you have yourself an amazing mobile, made with love, for your precious baby!



1 comment:

  1. Hi. Hopefully you still monitor this site and answer. I was wondering if you have the template for these moose for the mobile? I came across this today and would love to make a bunch of these, as individual pieces, for my family. My uncle just unexpectedly passed away an his nickname, was "Moose." I would attempt to draw them myself, but have ZERO drawing skills. Thank you so much!!! My email is TDPlunske@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete